When it comes to Florida living, it’s no secret that the warm weather and inviting climate are one of the many reasons why so many folks flock to the Sunshine State. Add in the beautiful beaches, abundant wildlife and ever-growing communities, and there’s no better place to live. And while the warm climate is a friend to many, Florida weather can often wreak havoc on lawns and flowering plants. Which is why MasterCraft Builder Group is proud to provide homeowners with Florida-Friendly Landscaping, so you won’t need to spend every other day tending to your garden.
Principles of Florida-Friendly Landscaping
Florida-Friendly Landscaping uses environmentally-sustainable practices which help conserve energy and money while also protecting the surrounding land. This practice includes using low-maintenance plants native to the area that are drought resistant, require less upkeep and can withstand downpours, saltwater intrusion and even hurricanes. In addition, because Florida-Friendly Landscaping doesn’t introduce invasive species to the space, your lawn will last longer without requiring tremendous upkeep. At the same time, by incorporating plants that attract nearby wildlife, homeowners will have an easier time managing pests and reduce the need to treat the lawn with toxic pesticides.
When it comes to Florida-Friendly Landscaping, remember these five easy practices:
- Location, Location, Location ~ To achieve healthy, low-maintenance landscaping, you must ensure you’re placing the correct plant in its ideal place. Be sure to select plants that match a site’s soil, light, water, and climatic conditions, such as plants and trees native to Florida.
- All About Irrigation ~ Ensure your plants never get too thirsty, conserve water and avoid water pollution by implementing an efficient irrigation system or use a rain barrel system to collect water and use when needed.
- Benefits of Fertilizer ~ Proper fertilization will help enhance your plant’s growth, increase flowering or fruiting, and correct nutritional deficiencies. By comparison, improper fertilization techniques can damage plants and the surrounding environment, costing you both money and time to reverse the effects.
- Plants Love Wildlife ~ By selecting plants with seeds, fruit, foliage, and flowers, you will attract nearby wildlife that will tend to your garden and eliminate pests. Thus, eliminating the need for toxic pest control and giving you just one more reason to spend time outside on your MasterCraft pool deck, front porch, or patio.
- Reducing Runoff ~ Manufactured products such as fertilizers and pesticides with yard debris and eroded soil, can negatively impact water quality. So, keep your lawn Florida-Friendly by creating rain gardens, which help slow runoff from rainstorms and collect rainwater to irrigate landscaped plants and trees.
Landscaping with MasterCraft
MasterCraft strives to provide buyers with a home that they can enjoy inside and out. That’s why each of our homes comes fully-equipped with an array of Higher Standards to enhance the way you live, work and play, including an expertly landscaped Florida-Friendly lawn. MasterCraft’s Florida-Friendly practices will leave your yard looking brand new, even a year after we’ve handed you the keys.
Each home’s landscaping will change from season to season, depending on what is available from local nurseries, but we will always work to ensure your lawn meets our Higher Standards. A few of the practices you can expect to see in MasterCraft landscaping include: a completely sodded yard and irrigation system around your home, as well as the incorporation of native trees such as Elm, Oak, Maple, Crepe Myrtle, Magnolia and River Birch. Muhly Grass, Holly, Anise, Plumbago, Liriope, Viburnum and African Iris and other plants are also included.
If you’re ready to build your dream home, we want to help! Contact us today to learn about our floorplans, master-planned communities, and Higher Standards.